The Greenhouse at Wilmot Botanical Gardens is dedicated to therapeutic horticulture programming for groups with special needs. The program is based on the belief that an active connection with plants and nature can be a restorative experience and have a profound effect on quality of life. Within a greenhouse and garden environment the program seeks to decrease stress and mental fatigue, boost self-esteem and self-efficacy, and provide community, creativity, and optimism. Program participation is also extended to caregivers in many groups.
If you are interested in attending a program or would like more information, contact Leah Diehl, Director of Therapeutic Horticulture, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (352) 294-5003. Or complete the inquiry form.
Session Groups and Times
- Alumni group – every Wednesday, 10:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m. and 11:45 a.m.-12:45 p.m.
- Florida Recovery Center group – every other Thursday (from 2/18/21), 3:00 p.m.-4:30 p.m.
- UF Student Wellness group – every Tuesday, 4:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Women Veterans group – every Wednesday, 2:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m.
Program Affiliations & Sponsors
Many of the therapeutic horticulture programs are affiliated with or funded by local organizations, national foundations and/or private donors.
- Cancer Group – Sponsored by Climb for Cancer Foundation
- Florida Recovery Center Group – Affiliated with the UF Health Florida Recovery Center
- MHICM Veterans Group (Veterans Affairs) – Sponsored by the B. J. and Eve Wilder Family Foundation, Inc., and affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Mental Health Intensive Case Management program
- UF Student Wellness Group – Sponsored by the Love IV Lawrence Foundation and affiliated with the UF Counseling and Wellness Center
- Women Veterans Group – Sponsored by the B. J. and Eve Wilder Family Foundation, Inc.